There are lots of types of shinais and every kendoka got their own favourite.
There are two types of shinai that many people are familiar with.
They are Koto and Dobari.
Koto type shinai:
- There is no change in thickness in shinai's glade part.
- The weight is well diversed
- It is recommended for kendoka who prefers solid strikes.
Dobari type shinai:
- Also known as Jissen-Gata.
- The blade area closer to tsuba is thicker, and the monouchi (the tip area) is thinner.
- The weight is balanced towards your hand, so it feels lighter.
- It is recommended for kendoka who prefeers speedy strikes.